Saturday, May 17, 2008

Nakie Butt Girl

Yesterday we had a fantastic visit with little Miss Kennedy. In the afternoon Shawn, his mom, and myself all drove down to the hospital together and we met Shawn's dad there. He drove form Carpenteria to stay for the weekend and meet his granddaughter. We all went upstairs and while Shawn took his mom in I went in a room to pump. I was only in their for a little bit when Shawn's mom came in and told me that visiting hours were over at 6:30pm. Well we thought we could be there anytime that they weren't doing shift change or rounds, so I freaked. I took apart the pump as fast as I could and ran back to do the 3 minute hand wash so that I might be able to spend at least a minute or two with my baby. The nurse was super nice and said we could stay for a few, but visiting opened back up at 8 after the shift change. Well I was relived cuz I wasn't about to go anywhere without seeing my daughter. I had waited all day and they were going to have to drag me out. After a few minutes Shawn and I left and all of us went to dinner at BJ's Brewery to kill time until we could go back. It was really nice. Just the four of us enjoying a meal and talking. It was a good change of pace for me. A good break from all the stress. When we got back to the hospital Shawn took his dad in and afterwards I went in with his mom.

Kennedy was doing well and was naked as a jay bird. No hat, no eye covers, even her diaper was open. The nurse says she loves being naked. I can't wait to see her little nakie butt running down the hall after a bath. They turned off the lights for the jaundice so she is not a little glow worm anymore. Her oxygen is on a low setting, her blood sugar is stable, and she gained an ounce! She weighs 1 pound 9 ounces now. (700grams) She is our little micro-preemie. A thumbelina. I sang our song to her (Baby Mine from Dumbo) and she was trying so hard to open her eyes. I left the visit for the first time feeling relief and joy about our daughters progress instead of stress and fear. It was an especially nice feeling after such a rough day on Thursday when I had to leave her at the hospital after discharge. I can't wait to go visit her today. I'm hoping to hear some good news about the air in her belly. Hopefully she will have taken a big poo and they will have started to dissipate so they don't have to do x-rays every 8 hours. We did get some pictures yesterday, but they came out a little dark, so once we play with them a little bit to brighten them up we will try and get them up so everyone can see her little face.

1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...

I don't think people really grasp how timy 700 grams is!!!!
I'm so glad she is doing better!