Friday, May 30, 2008

It's about time!!!

Yesterday Shawn and I went down late to try out the new schedule. He is switching to 10 hour work days four days a week next week so we will have to wait until 8pm to go down to visit after evening shift change. I hated having to wait to long to see my baby girl, but it was all worth it once we got down there. THEY ARE GIVING HER BREAST MILK!!!!! YAY! They started her on 1 cc of breast milk every hour to see how she does. She is still getting her TPN to make sure she gets all the nutrients that she needs but if she does well then they can increase the amount of breast milk and hopefully get her off the TPN soon. The breast milk thing is extra good news because it means 1) the gas in her belly has gone down enough they feel safe feeding her and 2) hopefully she will start gaining weight even better. As of last night she was 1030 grams which is just over 2 pounds 4 ounces which is super fantastic! I am so excited about the whole thing. The only thing that I was a little disappointed with was that when we saw the nurse refill the syringe with milk it was my real milk and not my colostrum. I said something to the night nurse and she said the day nurse must have grabbed the fist bottle they saw, but she would make a note about it and just to be sure I called the day nurse this morning just to make sure she was aware to use it first. Other than that is was a fabulous night all around!

1 comment:

judejudith said...

Hi Katie & Shawn,
Just a note to let you know that we are thinking of you. We are thrilled that baby Kennedy is doing so well. Hugs Bobby & Judy Apodaca