Thursday, May 22, 2008

The best day ever!



Tuesday we had a good visit. Even though Kennedy lost two ounces she was doing really well and had finally pooped again. My sister Christi came out from Arizona to help out and she drove Shawn and I down to the hospital and also got to meet her niece for the first time.




Yesterday, Wednesday, Shawn and I went down a little early and we got to talk with the nurse practitioner on duty for Kennedy. She said everything was looking great! Kennedy has been pooping like crazy and that the delay was probably just because she was so small and premature, but now her system seems to be catching up. The barium moved to the same point in one day as it took a whole week to move with the last enema so that's pretty fantastic. The gas in her belly is almost gone except for two large pockets they are still watching, but it only warrants an x-ray every 24 hours now. That's a good thing to not have my poor child exposed to so much radiation. Her blood sugars are stable, the valve in her heart closed up like it was supposed to, and they did an ultrasound on her head and couldn't see any brain bleeds which she says usually show up by now. Also Kennedy gained an ounce back so she is 1pound 11 ounces again. All of it was really good news but did it make it the best day ever? Nope! This did:

THAT'S RIGHT!!! Ten days after my daughter was born I finally got to hold her! OH it was the BEST experience so far. She was so soft and warm. I kissed her head at least 5 times. She was a little bit squirmy which was cool because I could really feel how strong she is and she opened her eyes really big and was trying to see stuff. I cried. We forgot our camera yesterday so the nurse managed to find one and print these pictures out for us. To be able to hold my daughter it was completely indescribable-- the feelings I had were so amazing. I can't wait to go back today to hold her again. The nurse said she was taking well to the kangarooing. Oh yeah and they said they were going to start her on the breast milk sometime next week :0) A totally awesome, amazing, wonderful day.

1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...

Oh absolutely wonderful! Those pics brought tears to my eyes, how small she looks! But how wonderful for you to hold her finally! That will do wonders for both of you!