Monday, November 3, 2008

A trip to GI, a call from the doctor and a prayer request

Kennedy had a GI appointment today. They did the usual doctor visit stuff; weight, length, head circumference, listen to her heart, feel her belly -all that junk. They asked me how much she eats and how many wet and poopy diapers a day. They said she didn't look jaundice and to have our pediatrician send a copy of the blood work to their office. He said we can try taking Kennedy off the Erythromyicin since it is such a tiny dose anyway, but if she starts spitting up we need to put her back on. While we were waiting at the GI office we ran into some friends from the NICU- The Bonomos. They recently got to take their little girl home, but they still don't have a diagnosis. Right now their daughter is being treated for symptoms, but they have no idea what is causing them. She is also having a tough time with feedings lately. We would like to ask all of our religious readers to please pray for their family and their daughter. Click here to read about their journey.

Upon returning home We had a message on our answering machine from our pediatrician. Not the nurse, but the actual doctor. She said she needed to discuss Kennedy's recent blood work. Of course I called immediately but they were out to lunch and the service answered. I was then left to ponder what could possibly be so wrong with Kennedy's blood work that the doctor herself would be calling me. It was 45 minutes until they were supposed to be back in the office. I called exactly at 1:30p and SURPRISE they weren't back yet. So 3 calls and 15 minutes later I finally got through. I spoke with the nurse, but she couldn't help me. She said I had to call back in 5 minutes when the doctor gets in. Ok now I know its serious. I want to throw up. What the H-E- double hocky sticks could be wrong. Wait- I thought they arent supposed to give bad news over the phone. Maybe its so horrible that they cant wait for me to come in. Dear God don't these people know how long 5 minutes is! Finally I get through to the doctor. Her phosperus levels are too high so she wants me to adjust one of her meds. Thats it. No biggie just cut back on the Phos-NaK to 5ml instead 7.5ml. Her liver enzymes are a little off, but her billi looks good and so does everything else. I thought the phone call stress was supposed to end once we got her home. I guess not.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

It was so good to see you today! Thank you so much for the prayer requests. It means so much that you guys keep Kennedy in your thoughts and prayers. You had me all nervous when I was reading your blog. Why do those darn doctors make us stress for no reason????

Daryl's Dad said...

we get to see gi on thursday. we are hoping to get rid of daryl's g-tube since it has never been used. be well everybody